Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It's about go time!

Welp, here we go. For better or for worse, this is the week for the Detroit Marathon. I can't say that I feel ready for it, but it's here as of Sunday.

For about the last month I've been fighting schedules, colds, injuries and lack of motivation. My training has been kind of poopy as it was this time last year. It seems that at least mentally, I tend to peak out with my labor day 10k. I'm not sure how to fix that though.

I've recently found out that the finish is different from previous years as it will not be in Ford Field this year. Some genius scheduled a marathon the same day as a football game. I'm not for sure why this occurred. The date is a week earlier than last year. If the organizers would have kept the same weekend, then the Lions would be at an away game which means the change wouldn't have to be made. I think the finish was awesome for both runners and spectators alike. Hmm...maybe they'll fix it from now on! Traffic and parking should be interesting thanks to the scheduling mishap.

The temperature should be a bit warmer than I want it to be, but at least it won't be as bad as the runner's had it in Chicago. Yuck! We'll see how much I've learned since last year (my first marathon). I ran it in 3:55:55 last year, and despite the past month of mediocre training, I think I should beat that. I'm hoping for somehwere in the 3:45 range. If I can stay patient at the beginning I'll be fine. Knowing ahead of time how steep the Ambassador Bridge is and that the Rocky theme song will be repetitively blared out from people's cars will help me be a bit more prepared this year. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tear'em up.

Anonymous said...

Go Get'm Jason.
Mike Deal

annaelyse said...

good luck. i'm running the kc half tomorrow and a little nervous (it's my first race longer than 4 miles!) but training has been good and i should be alright as long as i don't start out too fast. let us know how you do!