Saturday, August 04, 2012

No running = no bueno

I hate that I haven't been running much this summer. My foot (plantar fasciitis issues) has been frustrating me to no end. It gets better, I go for a run, and than it's pain for the next week. Blah! This October will be the first time since 2005 that I have not ran the fall marathon in Detroit/Windsor.

Now that the Olympics are on I REALLY want to run. I've always thought of them as quite motivational myself.

The struggle of my injury this summer has made me take a step back though and think through why I enjoy running so much!

First off, being in shape makes me physically feel better. I get the "blah's" out so any motivational funk that I enter is short lived. It's also a great stress reliever. Any time that I feel the weight of life bearing down I go for a run. It freshens my mind and helps me see things in a clearer perspective.

Lastly, it's great quiet time. Getting ready to become a first time daddy, I wouldn't know yet about "just needing to get out of the house" yet, but I think I'll learn about that pretty soon! Nope, I mean that it's a great quiet time to converse with God. He's the reason that I have the ability to run in the first place. He's helped me overcome some pretty crazy circumstances in the past when it comes to running (a pretty messed up ankle resulting in several permanent screws for instance). I think it's because He knew that He could use running as a tool for me to help connect to Him. The distractions are few when I'm running and the scenery is always nice. From wooded, rustic trails, to smoggy Asian cities, He helps me see the beauty around me and that's because His hand is in it all.

So...here's to the new XC season getting ready to start. I'm hopeful that soon I will be able to run consistently again soon, if not I'll survive, but I will have to be looking for new outlets for stress relief and new conduits for quiet times with the Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cross Country, what a wonderful sport.