Monday, November 20, 2006

Apparantly we aren't very thankful

This is my determination as to why the Christmas (or if you're a secular progressive, the "Holiday") season now starts in October. I went shopping the day of Halloween to find cheap candy, only to find that the only candy being sold was Christams themed candy.

Wait a minute! Did I miss something here? Isn't there another holiday between Halloween and Christmas? And even if there wasn't, one would think that it would be dismissable by the common public if the retail stores would wait at least a week or two before the Christmas displays had to come out. This is not the case. Christmas displays are now literally coming out the day of Halloween.

There are two things that I see wrong with this:

#1 The first thing is that we start to exclude Thanksgiving as a holiday. What ever happened to planning a feast, getting together with your family, and counting the blessings that the good Lord has passed down to you? Is doing that not deserving of our time?

#2 The second problem with 8+ weeks of Christmas is that I think it starts to water down what the real celebration is all about. Last I checked, the spelling of the holiday still includes the name of Christ. Yet too often, the common public, including those who claim to be Christians, think of this holiday as Presentmas, which is just giberish. Rather than celebrating the birth of our Saviour, we celebrate what feels good to us, and that's showing off what kind of gadgets we can afford or bragging about how long we waited in line for a PS-3. Celebrating a "season" rather than a holiday greatly downplays the meaning of the holiday itself.

I was strickin with a bag of mixed emotions Thursday night driving home from class. I was flipping through the radio stations and I came across a station that had already started it's 24/7 birage of Christmas music. That means that this station will be playing Christmas music nonstop for at least 39 days! That's even longer than Ramadan! While I love Christmas music, especially the Christ centered songs, I find that this is all part of the ploy of spreading out the "Holidays" and downwatering the day we celebrate Jesus' birth.

While the economy hops itself up on retail sales during the "beat-the-rush", "black Friday", "holiday" and "last minute" sales, I take complete and great joy in knowing that I can celebrate the birth of my Saviour each and everyday of the year. While it does feel good to give to others, and that is what we should be doing, try to focus on who programmed us to feel this response. For those of you confused, that would be God. Also focus on the spelling of this holiday. I'll give you a hint, it starts with Christ!

No comments: