Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas Countdown #11

Merry Christmas Baby by Christina Aguilera and Dr.John
  
     While this could be used as a term of endearment, it's actually the title of my11th favorite Christmas Song. For those who know me well you're thinking what the heck? For those who know me REALLY well, this song will be of no surprise. This is indeed my guilty pleasure song of the list.

     First off, while not always a fan of the songs that are written and performed by Christina, and I'm not always a fan of her wardrobe either, I've always been a HUGE fan of her voice. She has a deep soulfulness to it. This song is slow and bluesy, allowing plenty of time for Christina to get in a good "growly" voice at times (I love growly by the way) as well as time to embellish the sustained moments. The girl has pipes!

    Dr. John is also in this song. If you don't know who Dr. John is, then you don't know the blues. He's one of my favorite artists and celeb personalities of all time. His piano skills have always amazed me. Just think, the only reason he became a pianist is b/c his hand was shot and he could no longer play the guitar well! I've also seen him in concert before which makes this song even cooler!

     There is simply SO much talent wrapped up in this song and this is one of my criteria when it comes to my music listening: Talent, Passion and Good Song Writing. These days it's hard to find all three at once! This song has at least the first 2. Good song writing, I don't know about. I've heard other versions   of this song and haven't been impressed. Unless you're a fan of either of these two artists, my guess is that you haven't heard their version. You might not even know the song. Be sure to check it out and add it to you're Christmas playlist.


No comments: