Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Countdown: #4

It's time to start the power list. It's the final 4. I get pretty traditional when it comes to the top 4, but you'll see where my alliances are at by following them. 

#4 on my list is O Tannenbaum by Vince Guaraldi. Yes, I love Vince Guaraldi. I was a fan of his before he became trendy again. His trio plays cute the first time through the song, then it's on! Once the bass and brushes come in, who can think of anything but the Peanuts Christmas special on t.v.? 

I would venture to call this a piano jazz masterpiece. Some may not agree with me and I admit I'm biased to west coast jazz. I just love that "cool" laid back feel. 

While being a stand-in, for their normal bassist, Puzzy Firth helps make this song what it is. There's something about a piano/bass/drum trio that just puts me in my happy place. It's cool. It was very cool back in the day, and I suspicion that this genre will always be cool. Maybe not, but they always will be in my book. 

No comments: