Sunday, August 27, 2006

Running the Race

Okay, So I'm officially doing it. I have entered into the 2006 Detroit Free Press Marathon to be ran on October the 29th. I know, everyone thinks I'm crazy, but it's something I've always wanted to do and the timing is right if I were ever to run one. I've been training for a while, but I didn't want to make any hasty decisions so I waited until I hit 18 miles for a long run (yesterday) to see if I thought I could do it and so, I'm now entered. The entry fee is nonrefundable so I guess I'd better run it eh?

With a new goal in sight and a new chapter currently being written in my storied running career, it's only natural that Paul's words about running the race can be viewed in a new and refreshing light.

In our Christian walks we are to run after our Father in such a way that we may win the prize, or our crown, that is everlasting and will never fade away. In 1Cor 9:25, he says "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last..." While in today's society of entitlement, everyone seems to be a winner. While everyone who finishes a marathon gets a "finisher's medal", there can still only be one true winner. To be that winner, one must train vigorously. Heck, to get the "finisher's award" one must train very hard as well. There are days where I really don't feel like running. There are even days where I feel like packing it in and not running at all or I feel like turning around short of my goal and going home early. The thing that keeps me going is the feeling of urgency because I only have 9 weeks of training before my race. Just as in my walk, somedays I don't feel like praying. Some days I don't feel like studying Romans until my head explodes. Somedays I'm, just lazy. Some days I avoid people like the plague and I don't reach out to others in my circles of influence. I'm sure I'm not the only one to ever experience this. The problem is that I don't always have the same feelings of urgency to motivate me in my spiritual walk.

Another observation I've made is that in order to win the "prize" one must be in constant training. Just because you have one discipline down it doesn't mean that you can shortcut God somewhere else. This has been made very vivid in my life lately through my running experience. I can be motivated to run 18 miles on Saturday morning, but it takes a huge effort for me run a few miles of speedwork on Thursday afternoons. It's not my strong suit and it's not something I'm comfortable with. Just as in my walk I can wake up consistently at 5:30 in the morning to pray, but if God asks me to confront someone personally and verbally than I drag my feet and make excuses. Again, the deciding factor comes down to what my motivation is and where my obedience level is at.

But remember we are in constant training. While some days we would rather check out, we must be constantly and faithfully running our race. My prayer is that at the end of my life I can say as Paul said in II Tim. while staring down death, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." In order to be able to say that, I must become more obedient to God's calling. When the Spirit pokes me and says go talk to that person, I must be obedient no matter how uncomfortable or awkward it makes me feel. It's all about the motivation: to see God glorified in all situations, both awkward and comfortable. After a lifetime of this obedience, then and only then can I be as Paul and receive the crown of righteousness.

No comments: